Re: st: adjusting hazard ratios in st cox using offset

Subject   Re: st: adjusting hazard ratios in st cox using offset
Date   Wed, 17 Oct 2012 18:15:05 -0400

/*You have an interesting problem, but your proposal is flawed. Consider
the following simplified table for two procedures:

         |        proc_b
    proc_a |         0          1 |     Total
-----------+----------------------+----------
         0 |         .          5 |         5
         1 |         5          6 |        11
-----------+----------------------+----------
     Total |         5         11 |        16
You would like your model results to look like this:
proc_A     1.0
proc_B     ?

But this is impossible: with three groups you need two indicator
variables. Here is an example.

You have to define what you mean by "effect of proc_B adjusted for
proc_A." My suggestion would be to partition the data into two groups,
those with procedure A and those without procedure A.

Steve

***********Code Begins*********************
capture program drop _all
clear
input proc_a proc_b
 1 0
 1 1
 0 1
 0 1
 0 1
 1 0
 1 1
 1 0
 1 1
 0 1
 0 1
 1 1
 1 1
 1 0
 1 1
 1 0
end
// define 3 groups
gen g10 = proc_a==1 & proc_b==0
gen g01 = proc_a==0 & proc_b==1
gen g11 = proc_a==1 & proc_b==1
set seed 5503211
gen stime = max(_n + 5*runiform(),1)

stset stime
stcox  g10 g01 g11, nohr nolog  //3 indicators "g11" dropped
stcox proc_a proc_b, nohr nolog  // 2 indicators
stcox proc_b if proc_a==1, nohr nolog
// the following doesn't work with only 2 procedures
stcox proc_b if proc_a==0, nohr nolog