Re: st: Normally distributed error term & testing normality of residuals

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Normally distributed error term & testing normality of residuals
Date   Sat, 13 Oct 2012 14:05:09 +0100

The assumption of normality is here associated with a latent variable.
If the observed response is bounded, as is the whole point of tobit
model, what do you think that implies for the residuals?

By the way, if you are referring to the same problem as that discussed
in the lengthy thread starting in

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-10/msg00187.html

then my position remains that tobit regression (or more precisely
interval regression) is quite inappropriate for that model.

Nick