Re: st: Demeaning TFP

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Demeaning TFP
Date   Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:11:35 +0100

This seems to be pitched at the perhaps 5 (very wild guess) out of
5000 or so Statalist members who know exactly what this is, but they
are keeping quiet. So I will try a couple of wild guesses.

-levpet- is from SJ.

I gather that there is a quantity TFP which is exp(ln TFP)) and that
for good or at least conventional reasons you are working with that on
a log scale.

Different things seem to be going on here in different tails.

The very large negative values are the analysis's only way to tell you
that TFP is approximately zero in some cases, except that there is
noise too (otherwise TFP would be impossible to estimate).

The larger positive values are to me more worrying. Whatever the
measurement units of TFP, ln TFP of 20 means that TFP is exp(20) or
about 5 billion. Is that a possible value? It seems more likely to me
that you are picking up artefacts of some kind, e.g. that there is a
very small data subset, something is nearly constant so that you are
dividing by a very small number, or something more complicated but
leading to inflated values. How many parameters are you estimating
overall and are there firms in which the number of data values is only
just larger?

Are there yet further firms in which there is no estimate at all
(missing values)?

So, the strategic question is definitely not how to move forwards. You
need diagnostic work to go back and find out what is going on. More
exploratory data analysis might reveal that it is futile to expect
this model to fit well to every individual firm and that you need
criteria to filter out firms not suitable.

Nick