Re: Re: st: Creating variables from a matched pair

From   "Kopsic, Jessica" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: st: Creating variables from a matched pair
Date   Mon, 8 Oct 2012 19:07:08 +0000

Hi David,

I want the second thing you specified - "two observations for each pair -- the second one with the roles reversed."

The data looks like this:

Partner A: DOB Partner A, Sex Partner A
Partner B: DOB Partner B, Sex Partner B

And so on for all the pairs. Each person's data is a row. That row contains only information for that person. Unique IDs down the left-hand side, variables across the top.

I'd like it to look like this:
Partner A: DOB Partner A, DOB Partner B, Sex Partner A, Sex Partner B
Partner B: DOB Partner A, DOB Partner B, Sex Partner A, Sex Partner B

The ordering does not matter, I just wrote it that way to emphasis that each row would now have data for that person and the exact same data for their partner. Their partner, in turn, would then also have a row that contains their data and their partner's data.

And then so on for each pair.

Everyone has a unique ID with the structure outlined in my previous message.

Let me know if it's still unclear. Thank you.

Jessica

You need to be a bit more specific about what the data look like and what the desired result looks like. But from a brief look, this may be a case for -reshape wide-. -reshape wide- will yield one observation for each pair. If you want two observations for each pair -- the second one with the roles reversed -- then you need to do some additional work, but it is not hard.

Tell us more, and we'll be better able to help.
--David