Re: st: Bootstrapping with sampling weights?

Subject   Re: st: Bootstrapping with sampling weights?
Date   Tue, 2 Oct 2012 16:54:55 -0500

Michael,

(1) read my SJ paper, http://stata-journal.com/article.html?article=st0187

(2) yes, if you have independent samples in those periods 20 years
apart, you can treat them as (meta) strata. If you have stratification
information for your data, you should cross it with year:

egen metastrata = group( year strata)

I really doubt that your data are "independent". If this is a personal
interview survey, this is simply a very wrong assumption to make that
would compress your standard errors to an unknown extent. You would
need to figure out what the sample designs for both studies were.

--
-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (SSC)  ::  http://stas.kolenikov.name
-- Senior Survey Statistician, Abt SRBI  ::  work email kolenikovs at