Re: st: summary statistics

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: summary statistics
Date   Mon, 1 Oct 2012 17:33:15 +0100

Actually, I pointed to _two_ user-written commands that do this.

In general, I agree with Clyde. The trade-off between doing it
yourself from first principles and finding a suitable user-written
command (or even an official one) is delicate, and always with a user.
However, the success of Clyde's approach depends partly on his being
an experienced user who is fluent in, and feels comfortable with, much
of Stata.

With a structure this simple, a two-line solution is also competitive.

stack HSS*, into(HSS) clear
tab _stack HSS

-- although that loses some detail on variable names and labels, and
so does not qualify as a good solution by itself.

However, the full trade-off needs to take account of various awkward facts:

1. You might want to do this repeatedly.

2. You might (almost certainly will) want to go back to your original
data structure.

3. You might want to carry weights through the -reshape- too.

As said, I am in agreement, just spelling out some issues.

Nick