Re: st: Post-program tempfiles or a temp directory?

From   James Sams <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Post-program tempfiles or a temp directory?
Date   Thu, 27 Sep 2012 14:32:04 -0500

On Thursday 27,  September  2012 19:37:37 you wrote:
> I have not tried it but I imagine that temporary files opened in an
> interactive session will remain open during that session. The
> interactive session itself counts in Stata as a program in the widest
> sense, at least for some purposes. You would then just need to pass
> their names to your individual programs.
>
> For further and better advice, you might need to spell out what your OS is.

This is for a set of rclass programs to be used by a number of people on Linux
for sure, probably also OS X. Maybe not Windows, but possibly. It will usually
be used in the context of a do file, not a session (the function itself is
likely to take at least 2 hours to run easily 10 times longer). Defining the
files ahead of time is not feasible. The entire point of the function is to
figure out which source files would need to be operated on in the first place,
operating on them in the specified manner, saving the results to some files, and
handing the files off to the 'user' of the function for them to use as they see
fit.

--
James Sams