Re: st: 3-level model for crime victimization

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: 3-level model for crime victimization
Date   Tue, 25 Sep 2012 10:59:52 -0500

If there are 8 neighborhoods in 1 city then the level-3 sample size
would be 1! As a result you would throw a bunch of constants in your
model which does not make sense. Besides, a level-2 sample size of 8
is very small (at least for the standard likelihood based methods) and
is usually problematic with respect to point and variance estimates of
the fixed effects as well as the varying intercept/coefficient
variation. I believe this is discussed in any multilevel textbook.

Joerg