Re: st: Is it possible to estimate the cumulative incidence function using stpm2cif when you have competing risks and time-varying covariates?

Subject   Re: st: Is it possible to estimate the cumulative incidence function using stpm2cif when you have competing risks and time-varying covariates?
Date   Sun, 23 Sep 2012 15:28:53 -0400

Alison:

I didn't answer your entire question. The expanded data set (for the
situation without time-dependent covarates) is for use by -stmp2cif-
only. If you save the data set created by -stmp2cif-, for example to
tweak the graphs, save under a new name to avoid confusion with the
"real" data. For similar uses of expanded ata sets, see: Section 3.12
and 3.22 of
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/statistics/multiple-failure-time-data/

Steve

You are asked in the FAQ to give the source of non-official commands.
Both -stpm2- and -stpm2cif- are from SSC. Also "STATA" is not correct
spelling for "Stata".

The example in the -help- for -stpm2cif- uses expanded data after "stset
time, fail(failure)". So expanded data per se is not a problem.

Unfortunately, -stpm2cif- will not work properly if the original data
set has time-dependent covariates, as yours does. Such data has multiple
records per subject before expansion, so the expanded data set does not
weight each subject properly.

The value of CIFs (or baseline survival curves) with time-dependent
covariates would be questionable anyway. These estimated curves represent a
population in which covariate values do not vary with time. Such a
population might be quite atypical.

Steve