st: Re: st: Identify Neighbor Regions with Latitudes and Longitudes‏

From   Robert Picard <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: st: Identify Neighbor Regions with Latitudes and Longitudes‏
Date   Sun, 23 Sep 2012 13:23:22 -0500

It all depends on what you mean by adjacent neighbors. You can use
-geodist-, available on SSC to calculate distances using lat/lon
pairs. You can use -geonear-, also available from SSC to identify all
neighbors within a certain distance (say 20 miles) or to find say the
nearest 5 cities. If you mean adjacent according to some geopolitical
boundaries, then you would need shapefiles that describe those
boundaries. If you mean adjacent in geometric sense, then you will
need to draw the Voronoi (Thiessen) polygons around each city. I don't
know of any Stata tools to do that. You can try to approximate the
polygons using an array of points arranged in a grid.