Re: st: Re: odbc load from SQL if ID is in my Stata master dataset?

From   Jen Zhen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: odbc load from SQL if ID is in my Stata master dataset?
Date   Tue, 18 Sep 2012 17:46:17 +0200

Dear Joseph,

thanks a lot for your suggestions, which were spot on!
I have now gotten permission to and have successfully created a new
table with those numbers in the SQL database.

When I use the statement - SELECT * FROM table JOIN idlist ON
table.id=idlist.id -
I get the error "Column 'id' in field list is ambiguous, presumably
because the same id is contained more than once in my main table.
It's like when in a Stata merge some values of the id variable are
contained more than once in the master dataset and I want to merge in
the information from the using dataset for each of them. Not sure if
the JOIN command has an appropriate "option" for that?

The second option I frankly don't fully understand.
Assuming the string length allowed in SQL is at least as high as that
in Stata, i.e. 244 characters, I think I could place all ID numbers
into about 4 stringths and then subsequently place these 4 stringths
into those IN(string) brackets.

However, I'm not sure how I could take all IDs contained in a Stata
dataset column and put them into a string?
I guess I could do so somehow manually by copy-pasting it into MS Word
and then copy-pasting back into the do file, but that doesn't look
very elegant or automatizable...

Thanks so much and best regards,
JZ