Re: st: nl: missing standar error

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: nl: missing standar error
Date   Tue, 18 Sep 2012 09:54:54 +0200

Hi,

thanks a lot for the hint.

My code looks like this (in a abbreviated form):

scalar rate=0.05

nl ( variable1 =
( {constant=1}
+ ({alpha1=1}*rate+{alpha2=1}*log(exp({alpha3}))*rate)*variable2
+ {alpha2=1}*rate*variable3
+ ({beta}*rate+{alpha4}*log(exp({alpha3}))*rate)*variable4
+ {alpha4=1}*rate*0.5*variable5
- {alpha4=1}*0.5*variable6)
- exp({alpha3})*variable7), nolog vce(robust);

The missing standard error will be produced for alpha1, but just If I use my real data set. There will be no missing standard error if I use my test case.

That do you mean by "outputting the covariance matrix of the
parameter estimates"?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Christina

> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM,  <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Could you please give me a hint how to identify the problem? I have no
> idea, why Stata is not reporting this standard error when I am using my real
> data set. For me, the programming code looks the same except that I have
> to replace my variables according to the variables in the test case.
> >

> It sounds to me like the variance of that parameter is essentially 0
> or some other violation of the requirement that a covariance matrix be
> positive definite. Try outputting the covariance matrix of the
> parameter estimates and see if there are other missing parts or if
> (when looked at in correlation scale) the correlation between one
> parameter and another is very high.
>
> You may have an empirically unidentified parameter.

---original massage---