st: ivreg2 missing SE's when using two cluster variables

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: ivreg2 missing SE's when using two cluster variables
Date   Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:02:40 -0400

Hello,

I'm performing some analyses using -ivreg2- to perform OLS with two
cluster variables. I also have a relatively small sample (around 200 obs)
so I'm using the small option. I found that in some of my models, there is

no std error. While this is not incredibly surprising given the small n
and multiple clusters, I'm a little confused as to why I experience this
problem in some models and not others, and what potential solutions may
exist. The help file explains that if the small option is used with
clustering, ivreg2 makes the following adjustment: qc =
(N-1)/(N-K)*M/(M-1), where M is the minimum # of clusters from the two
cluster variables. Yet, when I run the same regression with either one of
the clusters, ivreg2 is able to calculate the std. error. Further details:

N=251, cluster1 has 119 clusters, cluster2 has 60. This is not a case of
singleton dummies, as there is only one independent variable.

Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Max

Max Livingston
Research Analyst
Microeconomic Studies
Research and Statistics Group
Federal Reserve Bank of New York
(212) 720-7894

This e-mail message, including attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential or proprietary information.  If you are not the intended recipient, immediately contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.