Re: st: fixing variance parameters in xtmixed to do meta-analysis

From   [email protected] (Vince Wiggins, StataCorp)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: fixing variance parameters in xtmixed to do meta-analysis
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2012 17:23:03 -0500

Jay Verkuilen <[email protected]> asks about fixing some of the
variance parameters in -xtmixed-,

> Anyway, I have been doing some meta-analysis recently. This is
> complicated because it involves clustering of the effect sizes. I'd
> like to fit a proper model which has a random effect for the second
> level of aggregation.
>
> In SAS you can trick PROC MIXED to do random effects meta analysis by
> passing in variance parameters and fixing them. I'm sure something
> like this is possible in STATA (err... I hope it is) but I'm not sure
> how to do it. Any advice?

You currently can't and I don't know any tricks to fake it. It is
definitely on our list to provide these types of constraints, but I
suspect it will be a while.

-- Vince