RE: st: Weights now allowed

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Weights now allowed
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2012 11:23:07 -0700

It still doesn't work is not really descriptive enough to help us figure out
what's wrong.  You should explain what you mean by that.  Do you get an
error message?  Is the calculation not giving you the result you expect?
Either way, the point still stands that you do not have to loop through your
variables to do this.  All your loop appears to be trying to do is tell
Stata to calculate your expression separately for each observation, which is
what Stata does anyway.

See -help egen- for an explanation of how rowmean treats missing values.  As
explained there, it will calculate the mean over all the non-missing.  If
you're getting a value of zero (when that isn't the mean of the non-missing
values) when there are missing values, then something is probably wrong with
your code.
-egen avg=rowmean(x1 x2 x3)- should get you exactly what you say you're
looking for.

The loop you're trying to write, on the other hand, will always calculate
the mean wrong any time there are missing values because you would need to
divide by the number of non-missing values rather than always dividing by 7.

-Sarah