st: horizontal box plots and log scale

From   Susanna Cramb <[email protected]>
Subject   st: horizontal box plots and log scale
Date   Wed, 12 Sep 2012 08:53:46 +0000

Hello,

I am having difficulties in generating horizontal box plots on the log scale.

I am using Stata/SE 12.1 for Windows (32-bit), although I also have the problem with the same version under (64-bit) and also Stata/SE 11.2 for Windows (32-bit). I did not have this problem when using earlier versions of Stata.

If I run the following example from the graph box help file, Stata generates the graph as expected:

sysuse nlsw88, clear
graph hbox wage, over(ind, sort(1)) nooutside ytitle("") title("Hourly wage, 1988, woman aged 34-46", span) subtitle(" ") note( "Source:  1988 data from NLS, U.S. Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics" , span)

However, if I request it on the log scale, as in the following code, I obtain a horizontal box plot where all the categories are squished on top of each other at the very top of the graph, while the horizontal axis remains unchanged.

sysuse nlsw88, clear
graph hbox wage, over(ind, sort(1)) nooutside ytitle("") title("Hourly wage, 1988, woman aged 34-46", span) subtitle(" ") note( "Source:  1988 data from NLS, U.S. Dept. of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics" , span) yscale(log)

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there any solution?

Thank you,
Susanna