Re: st: How to insert the name of a variable into a matrix automatically

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to insert the name of a variable into a matrix automatically
Date   Mon, 10 Sep 2012 13:36:39 +0100

Stata won't support the inclusion of textual information in a matrix.
Rather, you mean you want automation of row names, which can be
thought of as marginal labels. This is exactly equivalent to
automating column names.

matrix cancertypes = J(2,2,.)
matrix colnames cancertypes = N median_age
matrix rownames cancertypes = head lowgi
local row = 1

qui foreach var of varlist head lowgi {
                      count if `var'==1
                      matrix cancertypes[`row',2]=r(N)