Re: st: Identifying and recording the first occurrence of an event by actor given category

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Identifying and recording the first occurrence of an event by actor given category
Date   Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:47:31 +0100

Stata is great at this kind of problem. The essence of Erik's
difficulty is the need to look in other observations for the same
panel to produce the new variable.

First off, the first year anything occurred  is just the minimum year
anything occurred, so we can get at that minimum in several ways:
sorting, using -summarize-, -egen- etc.

Given the panel structure, -egen- is a good tool, because functions
that support a -by()- option or a -by:- prefix will handle panels
separately.

Here is one solution:

egen first_1 = min(year / (event == 1)), by(actor_id)

Here is another:

egen first_1 = min(cond(event == 1, year, .)), by(actor_id)

This approach is discussed in detail within

Cox, N.J. 2011. Speaking Stata: Compared with ... Stata Journal 11(2): 305-314

Abstract.  Many problems in data management center on relating values
to values in other observations, either within a dataset as a whole or
within groups such as panels. This column reviews some basic Stata
techniques helpful for such tasks, including the use of subscripts,
summarize, by:, sum(), cond(), and egen. Several techniques exploit
the fact that logical expressions yield 1 when true and 0 when false.
Dividing by zero to yield missings is revealed as a surprisingly
valuable device.

Erik's question appears a bit more complicated than I have answered
here; if there is some twist I have missed no doubt he will make that
clear.

Nick