Re: st: create pretty charts

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: create pretty charts
Date   Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:05:57 -0500

If you have a 2d plot which shows exactly the information you want it
to show, then coercing this plot into 3d has the consequence that you
add visual information to the picture -- with no correspondence to the
('real') information that is supposed to be shown. What happens then
is that a viewer of that plot has to figure out that the additional
visual information that comes with the 3d plot actually does not bear
any real information. Once (s)he figured that out (s)he essentially
translated the 3d plot into a 2d plot in order to then process the
relevant real information. This is a source of confusion (if something
went wrong during the translation, for example) and a waste of time.
So the question is: why do you want to confuse your readers and waste
their time? That might make sense in some fields like journalism where
this can be regarded as some kind of collateral damage which may be
unavoidable in order to catch a reader's attention in the first place.
However, in the game of science, these kind of shenanigans should be
unnecessary.

J.