Re: st: Balanced, unbalanced and weakly balanced definition

From   Glenn Landers <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Balanced, unbalanced and weakly balanced definition
Date   Tue, 4 Sep 2012 08:06:20 -0400

Technical note

The terms balanced and unbalanced are often used to describe whether a
panel dataset is missing
some observations. If a dataset does not contain a time variable, then
panels are considered balanced
if each panel contains the same number of observations; otherwise, the
panels are unbalanced.

When the dataset contains a time variable, panels are said to be
strongly balanced if each panel
contains the same time points, weakly balanced if each panel contains
the same number of observations
but not the same time points, and unbalanced otherwise.