Re: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Mean test in a Likert Scale
Date   Sun, 2 Sep 2012 11:23:00 +0100

The original question was posed by Leonor Saravia: here is the link
again for anyone interested.

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-08/msg01376.html

Yuval is _not_ here returning to the original question, which was
about response variables on a Likert scale. My own line on this is
that despite what people say, t tests often work well, but watch out.

Yuval is criticising the use of an ordinal predictor treated
numerically in regression. I imagine widespread agreement with Yuval's
point, which is elementary. The only good justification for doing that
is if the relationship is linear in practice, which is unlikely to be
true of Yuval's kind of example. But again that is true of any
predictor.

I want to stress that this problem is a different target.

The details of the Kmenta (1997) reference are missing.

For my part, I am shy of claiming "the correct analysis" of anything.
I've seen too many cases where smart people have come up with
different good analyses which each have merits. I think there are many
incorrect analyses around -- meaning analyses that can be argued to be
incorrect -- but the asymmetry is important.

Nick