Re: st: significance of the variables based on t-test or f-test

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: significance of the variables based on t-test or f-test
Date   Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:53:26 +0100

Paul is absolutely right to underline the correlation between linear
and quadratic terms, but I would stress with Maarten that plotting of
the data is surely and sorely needed to get a qualitative
understanding of whether some kind of curvature is needed or
justified.

It is my frequent practice to compare a quadratic fit with a
fractional polynomial (default) fit and a restricted cubic spline fit.

sysuse auto
scatter mpg weight || lfit mpg weight || qfit mpg weight || fpfit mpg
weight, ///
legend(order(1 "data"  2 "linear" 3 "quadratic" 4 "fracpoly"))

For a restricted cubic spline fit, -rcspline- (SSC) is a convenience
wrapper. My suggestions are that

1. If qfit, fpfit, rcspline agree, then quadratic is a good model. It
is not only simple but matches more flexible smoothers. But separate
testing of linear and quadratic terms makes no sense.

2. If any two of qfit, fpfit, rcspline disagree strongly, you need to
think more about what is going on.

Nick