Re: st: RE: draw 3D pie and 3D bar

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: draw 3D pie and 3D bar
Date   Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:48:18 +0100

3D bar graphs can be just as bad. That usually means bars presented
with base an inclined plane. But then bars at the back are usually
occluded at least in part by bars at the front, and bar heights (for
3D bar charts are in practice vertical, not horizontal) cannot easily
be compared because they have different base points and/or because
which of front and back of bar is to be read off is ambiguous.

Side-by-side bars or dot charts usually work much better. Even stacked
bars can be better.

Note that 3-D graphs might well include surface or persective views of
z = f(x, y). These can sometimes be provocative and I don't include
them in the obloquy.

Nick