Re: st: Missingness

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Missingness
Date   Tue, 28 Aug 2012 09:07:22 +0100

Your strategy isn't clear. Regardless of whether or how you use an
extra missingness variable, how do you expect Stata to treat the
missing values in the variables you already have?  Also, are the
ordinal predictors being treated as ordinal? Is the response ordinal
and does it include missing values too? One way forward is to treat
"missing" as just another category with its own code, but that would
seem to oblige you to treat such variables as nominal (in practice as
equivalent indicator variables) -- unless somehow you know that
"missing" always means "very big" or "very small" or "zero" and so can
be placed or one end or within the order.

Nick