Re: st: Factor Analysis for Panel Data

From   Cameron McIntosh <[email protected]>
To   STATA LIST <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Factor Analysis for Panel Data
Date   Mon, 27 Aug 2012 16:50:11 -0400

I'm not surprised that Stata (not STATA) doesn't allow you to just forcibly remove temporal measurement invariance from modeling consideration, because it is illegitimate to do so. The invariance needs to be respected. I would suggest some form of latent growth curve modeling to examine evolution in latent (factor) trajectories over time, and which takes measurement invariance into account. The following may be of interest:

Ximénez, C., & Revuelta, J. (2010). Factorial Invariance in a Repeated Measures Design: An Application to the Study of Person-Organization Fit. The Spanish Journal of Psychology, 13(1), 485-493.
http://redalyc.uaemex.mx/redalyc/pdf/172/17213039040.pdf

Ferrer, E., Balluerka, N., & Widaman, K.F. (2008). Factorial invariance and the specification of second-order latent growth models. Methodology: European Journal of Research Methods for the Behavioral and Social Sciences, 4(1), 22-36.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2799302/pdf/nihms114544.pdf

Widaman, K.F., Ferrer, E., & Conger, R.D. (2010). Factorial Invariance Within Longitudinal Structural Equation Models: Measuring the Same Construct Across Time. Child Development Perspectives, 4(1), 10–18.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1750-8606.2009.00110.x/pdf

Drapeau, A., Beaulieu-Prévost, D., Marchand, A., Boyer, R., Préville, M., & Kairouz, S. (2010). A life-course and time perspective on the construct validity of psychological distress in women and men. Measurement invariance of the
K6 across gender. BMC Medical Research Methodology, 10(68).
http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2288-10-68.pdf

Flora, D.B., Curran, P.J., Hussong, A.M., & Edwards, M.C. (2008). Incorporating Measurement Nonequivalence in a Cross-Study Latent Growth Curve Analysis. Structural Equation Modeling, 15, 676–704.
http://www.unc.edu/~curran/pdfs/Flora,Curran,Hussong&Edwards(2008).pdf

Chan, D. (1998). The conceptualization of change over time: An integrative approach incorporating longitudinal means and covariance structures analysis (LMACS) and multiple indicator latent growth modeling (MLGM). Organizational Research Methods, 1, 421–483.

Millsap, R.E. (2009). Testing Measurement Invariance Using Item Response Theory in Longitudinal Data: An Introduction. Child Development Perspectives, 4(1), 5-9.

Cam