Re: st: How to save a hessian matrix for post-estimation analysis?

From   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to save a hessian matrix for post-estimation analysis?
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2012 02:05:14 +0800 (CST)

Dear Gordon,

Thanks for your reply. What I’m doing is compiling a command for score tests. According to the David A. FREEDMAN’s paper (2007: 291), it is possible that the observed negative hessian of the restricted model can generate negative variance, which makes the test results inconsistent.

When the negative hessian is not positive definite, Stata will compute the variance-covariance matrix by the generalised inversion, so there won’t be negative variances. However, that makes me wonder whether the generalised inverse matrix is valid for the score test. Of course, we cannot run either the score test or the wald test, if the variance of the tested variable is set to be zero because of the generalised inversion. The problem is the validity of the testing results for the other variables with non-zero variances.

Your reply is useful to me, and I will make my command to show a warning message, when the variance-covariance matrix is degenerate. Moreover, if it’s convenient, could you please suggest me some key papers that discuss the robustness of the generalised inverse matrix when it is used for obtaining the variance-covariance matrix?

Thank you very much indeed.

Best Regards,

Chi-lin Tsai