Re: st: Float Precision

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Float Precision
Date   Wed, 22 Aug 2012 10:57:49 +0100

You say that you understand the reasoning, but when you write

the value appears to be 3.58 when in reality when you click on it, it
is 3.579999

you miss, or mis-represent, the issue. If there is a reality here it
is what Stata is holding your value as, namely, a binary approximation
to 3.58. If it's being held in a -float-, then what is being held is
_closer to_ the binary equivalent of 3.5799999 than it is to the
binary equivalent of 3.58, but what is held is not, and cannot be,
equal to 3.5799999 any more than it is, or can be, equal to 3.58.

. set obs 1
obs was 0, now 1

. gen foo = 3.58

. di %21x foo[1]
+1.ca3d700000000X+001

. di %21x 3.58
+1.ca3d70a3d70a4X+001

. di %21x 3.5799999
+1.ca3d6fcd17756X+001

(Note to the picky: When I try Jamie's example, I see 99999 not 9999.
Presumably the difference is a typo.)

That said, if you find Bill's blog explanation unclear, then you need
to raise specific questions about it. Bill's blog entry was written
because many postings like this have failed to convince some or
sufficiently to clarify what is at stake, and another such exchange is
unlikely to help much.

The tone of your posting is that if this is all true, then it is a
confounded nuisance and perhaps even smacks of bad language design.
(I'm imputing here.) My personal experience in 21 years of very
intensive usage of Stata is that I am bitten by precision issues
occasionally and need to spell out -float()- probably less than once a
year. In practice, things like

gen newvariable=1 if gear_ratio>=float(3.58)

don't arise at all frequently in my experience. As Maarten also
suggests, when you want exact arithmetic, often it just means that you
need to recast the problem to integers. Naturally, that is, as said,
just my experience.

The answer to your last question is that you can -set type double-,
but I'd recommend against it. You end up using vastly more memory, all
for the sake of not being inconvenienced by a syntax quirk that bites
only very occasionally.

Nick