st: personal policy on .sthlp and .hlp files in my packages on SSC

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: personal policy on .sthlp and .hlp files in my packages on SSC
Date   Mon, 20 Aug 2012 18:44:34 +0100

With the long-term and never-flagging help of Kit Baum, several of my
packages have been downloadable from SSC for various lengths of time;
their dates are from 1997 onward.

Many of these packages, including packages developed recently, are
written as far as possible to be usable by people still using older
(even old) versions of Stata. In practice, I don't now add or update
anything that would work in Stata 7 or earlier, but I still maintain
or write for Stata 8 or 9 when I can.

Before Stata 10, the standard extension for Stata help files was .hlp,
and only files with such extensions were readable as help files.