Re: st: coefficient interpretation in OLS

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: coefficient interpretation in OLS
Date   Sun, 19 Aug 2012 15:38:23 -0400

Clive,

I guess it depends on what constitutes a waffle.  Audiences vary in
their understanding of regression, and the challenge is to communicate
in a way that is both technically accurate and comprehensible.  The
wording in Terry Speed's column, which I also learned from John W.
Tukey, is technically correct. It need not be suitable for all
audiences.  Presenter discretion advised.

Any explanation that does not involve the blunder of "with the other
variables held constant" is a big improvement.

David Hoaglin