RE: st: coefficient interpretation in OLS

From   "Lynn Lee" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: coefficient interpretation in OLS
Date   Sat, 18 Aug 2012 10:37:34 -0700

Dear David,

I appreciate your suggestion about IMS Bulletin regarding this
interpretation issue. The two points are much more informative and detailed
than what I learned from textbook.

Best Regards,
Lynn Lee

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Hoaglin
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2012 7:09 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: coefficient interpretation in OLS

Dear Lynn,

In interpreting the coefficients in a multiple regression, two facts
are important.

1. The definition of each coefficient includes the set of other
predictors in the model.

2. The coefficient of a predictor, say X1, tells how Y changes in
response to change in X1 after adjusting for the contributions of the
other predictors in the model (in the data at hand).  A coefficient is
a slope, so it gives change in Y per unit increase in X1, not
necessarily the change in Y when X1 is increased by 1 unit (unless the
values of X1 are only 0 and 1).  Some textbooks, unfortunately,
interpret the coefficient of X1 as telling how Y changes with an
increase of 1 unit in X1 when the other predictors are held fixed, but
that is simply not how OLS works; that interpretation is
oversimplified and often incorrect.

Terry Speed's column in the current issue of the IMS Bulletin
discusses both of these points.

David Hoaglin