Re: st: Adding Reference Bars to Bar Graph

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Adding Reference Bars to Bar Graph
Date   Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:57:47 +0100

The only way ahead given that you have taken this road is to add a
further category to the data (certainly not  a further variable).

The following may be suggestive of the main trick involved. I have
kept the example as simple as possible.

sysuse auto
preserve
expand 2 in L
replace foreign = 2 in L
* whatever constant you need
replace mpg = 42 in L
label def origin 2 "Total" , add
graph bar (mean) mpg, over(foreign)
restore

The problem with -catplot- here that it is based (in your case) on
-graph bar-, which does not behave like -twoway- in letting other
graphs be superimposed. So you must mess, at least temporarily, with
the data.

The alternative is to rewrite everything as a call to -twoway bar-,
but even in that case the easiest way may be to start with an
augmented dataset.

Nick