st: Re: how to read .sas7bdat in Stata

From   Gordon Hughes <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: how to read .sas7bdat in Stata
Date   Thu, 16 Aug 2012 12:09:13 +0100

If you don't have SAS and don't know anyone with access to SAS, this seems to be a clear case for using StatTransfer unless this is a once-off operation. SAS files tend to be complex and have a lot of embedded information on labels, etc which StatTransfer will try quite hard to preserve. StatTransfer does not require that you have SAS on your system.

Gordon Hughes
[email protected]

==========================

Dear all,

I am currently using ?usesas? command to try to read .sas7bdat data set in
Stata 11. But the Stata told me the following:

The usesas command uses the savastata SAS macro to load the SAS dataset into
memory.
Large datasets may take a few minutes.
Edit your sasexe.ado file to set the location *
of your SAS executable file. *
C:\stata11\ado\plus\s\sasexe.ado
*! sasexe Version 2.3 [email protected] 11Apr2012
*! the carolina population center, unc-ch
 edit sasexe.ado (click, to edit the sasexe.ado file, remember to save when
done.)
 usesas requires that you have a working version of SAS on this computer.
r(499);

I changed the location in sasexe.ado file to where I save the downloaded
?.sas7bdat? data sets. But the Stata still can not read the SAS data. What I
downloaded from website are all data sets in format of ?.sas7bdat? . My
computer does not have SAS software. I also downloaded SAVASTATA.sas from
website, but looks like this file is for SAS software, not for Stata
software.

Now, I am stuck here. I appreciate for any suggestion about reading
.sas7bdat data sets in Stata.

Best Regards,
Lynn