Re: st: ado file help

From   daniel klein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: ado file help
Date   Tue, 14 Aug 2012 17:45:59 +0200

Tashi,

-syntax- does not look backwards, but offers a convenient way to check
whether what the user specifies are actually valid variable names in
the current dataset. That does not suck at all, once you understand
it. Feel free to specifiy -namelist- instead of -varlist- and do the
checking "by hand" later on, e.g.

pr dd
    vers 12.1
    syntax [namelist] , STARTdate(str) ENDdate(str) BROKERid(numeric)
GRAPHtype(str)

    <load the data>

    if ("`namelist'" == "") loc namelist _all
    cap unab varlist : `namelist'
    if (_rc) {
        <do whatever you want to do, if namelist contains invalid
variable names>
    }
    else {
        <do whatever you want to do if namlist conatains all valid
variable names>
    }
end

Best
Daniel

--
in this code, 2 variables are created namely var1 and var2. So, I want
to create a dataset using syntax options, which I did.  I would also

Note: I am very careful to not use any abbreviation while posting ):
example for eg.