Re: st: comparing coefficients using suest (same sample, same DV)

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: comparing coefficients using suest (same sample, same DV)
Date   Tue, 14 Aug 2012 14:12:02 +0000

<>
On Aug 14, 2012, at 2:33 AM, Henry wrote:

> I estimate two regressions using the same sample:
>
> (1)	Y=b1x1+e1
> (2) 	Y=b1x1+b2x2+e2
>
> and would like to test the difference in b1 across the two models. I

Before trying to test for this difference, look at the t-stat on x2. If its pval is small and the correlation between (x1,x2) is nontrivial, the b1 ocefficient in the first regression is inconsistent, so why would you care how much it differs from that of the second regression?

In any case there is no need to resort to -suest- to perform this test:

sysuse auto,clear
expand 2
g secsamp = _n>74
g x1 = mpg
g x2 = trunk
g x1ss = x1 * secsamp
g x2ss = x2 * secsamp
// coefficient on x1ss is the difference in x1 when x2 is included
reg price secsamp x1 x1ss x2ss, robust
sca diff = _b[x1ss]
reg price x1 if !secsamp, robust
sca x1only = _b[x1]
reg price x1 x2 if secsamp, robust
sca x2only = _b[x1]
sca diff2 = x2only - x1only
di "difference from single model " diff " from separate models " diff2

Kit