Re: st: Graphing long data with nested components

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Graphing long data with nested components
Date   Tue, 14 Aug 2012 14:53:09 +0100

No section of the manual is really geared to helping you identify what
graph to show if you don't know already.

For even 5 services, there are 2^5 - 1 possibilities for which of the
5 services are provided: the subtraction of 1 on the presumption that
no hospital provides no services has naturally a minute effect. For
147 services, the number is 2^147 - 1, of the kind usually called
astronomical, although perhaps it would better to say economic.

Of course, in practice, they won't all occur, but the explosion of
possibilities is likely to be a severe limit on what can be plotted.

I think you need to say more about what you want to do. Part of this
reads as if you perhaps intend some kind of cluster analysis, for
which see -cluster-. You could reduce your data to how many services
are provided, by each combination of hospital and PBC, but that
doesn't seem to be what you want either.

Nick