Re: st: Translating SPSS syntax into STATA

From   Muhammad Anees <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Translating SPSS syntax into STATA
Date   Fri, 10 Aug 2012 22:54:21 +0500

This seems to be computing the square of the difference of log of
hourly pay and its lagged value. Hence the following should do the
trick, assuming you have hourly pay in log.

gen lhe_1=l.lhe
gen lhsq2=(lhe-lhe_1)^2

HTH
Anees

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Stephen LeRoux <[email protected]> wrote:
> I need some help understanding the following SPSS syntax in order to translate it into STATA syntax.
>
> I am using STATA 12
>
> SPSS syntax:
>
> COMPUTE lhsq2 = (lhe - lhe_1)**2.
> EXECUTE.
>
> The variable lhe is the log of hourly pay. My data is one quarter of the UK Labour Force Survey.
>
> I don't know what the lhe_1 means.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated,
>
> Thanks
>
> Stephen le Roux
> National Institute of Economic and Social Research
> 2 Dean Trench Street, Smith Square, London
> SW1P 3HE United Kingdom
> Tel no: +44 (0)207 654 1946
> Web: http://www.niesr.ac.uk/staff/staffdetail.php?StaffID=323
> Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/stephleroux

Best
Muhammad Anees
Assistant Professor/Programme Coordinator
COMSATS Institute of Information Technology
Attock 43600, Pakistan
http://www.aneconomist.com