Re: st: Question on Wooldridge's Procedure 18.1

Subject   Re: st: Question on Wooldridge's Procedure 18.1
Date   Thu, 9 Aug 2012 13:37:27 -0400

Brent Gibbons <[email protected]>:

You are misunderstanding what pure noise refers to in my post at
 http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-01/msg00144.html
I proposed a thought experiment where you generate pure noise
variables z1-z20 (say) to serve as (very bad) excluded instruments Z,
where the predicted value of an endogenous X might still be highly
correlated with observed X, leading you to think you had strong
instruments using Procedure 18.1 (naively treating the predicted X as
your sole excluded instrument). Nonlinearity of the first stage is not
required for this problem to be observed--only an incorrect
understanding of what the weak instrument tests are designed for.  No
bias is introduced by the nonlinear transformation of exogenous
variables in forming a generated instrument, however.  The bias would
come only from violating the 2 crucial assumptions required for
instruments: Z correlated with X and uncorrelated with the error (the
first assumption fails in the thought experiment). E.g.

clear
set seed 12345
drawnorm z1-z20 e, n(1000)
g x=e/4+rnormal()
g y=x+e
qui reg x z*
predict xhat
ivreg2 y (x=xhat)
ivreg2 y (x=z*)

Note how the 18.1 approach does not catch the weak instruments
problem, but using the original instruments does.

Also note that the paper I cited as an example of the flawed test for
weak instruments is now published:
 http://www.aeaweb.org/articles.php?doi=10.1257/aer.102.5.1927
mostly without discussion of weak instruments, with a note (to Table 5) that
 "F-statistics are for tests that all instruments equal zero in
first-stage equations"
where the minimum eigenvalue of the Cragg-Donald stat should be
reported (see e.g. http://www.nber.org/papers/t0284.pdf). The
instruments look weak in all specifications, by the Stock-Yogo
standard, but the paper appears in a top econ journal, so take heart.