st: RE: Re: Skilmack across group

From   "Lam, Chun Nok" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Re: Skilmack across group
Date   Thu, 9 Aug 2012 17:02:35 +0000

Thank you very much Joseph. Let me give a better picture of the data.

I have 2 groups, intervention and control. And I measured subjects' HbA1c at baseline and follow-up:
                                 Baseline      Follow-up
Intervention           I1                      I2
Control                     C2                     C2

I want to find out if the change of HbA1c from baseline to follow-up is significantly different cross groups.
We have a small sample, and HbA1C is not normally distributed; therefore I think a nonparametric test would be appropriate.

The reason I looked into -skilmack- was because 1) nonparametric, 2) repeated measure, and 3) we had lost to follow-up (data structure is unbalanced). But you are right, it might not be designed to compare two treatment groups like ANOVA. Since you suggests there could be a resampling method to get to this with -skilmack-, could you please guide me to that?

In addition, I saw a study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2758650/) used another test called van Elteren test -vanelteren-. This is what the study describe their use, which is very similar to what I hope to obtain: "The van Elteren test was used to assess differences in symptom scores of patients on propranolol and placebo stratified by time since baseline evaluation." However, I am unsure how to use the test in the right way. So I tried by making my data in long form and run:

vanelteren hba1c, by(group) strata(survey)

And my data is like: (group = 0 is control)

Id    survey    group   hba1c
1          1              0            9.6
1          2              0            7.0
2          1              1            8.5
2          2              1            8.4

Since there is no id() nor repeated() in -vanelteren- like those in -skilmack- or -anova-, I am not sure how this test work in repeated measure and if the stratification is appropriate for that.

Sorry for the long explanation. And thank you so much once again for your help and guidance.

Chun Nok Jonathan Lam
Project Manager
Department of Emergency Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of USC