Re: st: Turning text pages into indicators

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Turning text pages into indicators
Date   Wed, 8 Aug 2012 17:03:16 +0100

1.

gen indicator = strpos(string, "word1") | strpos(string, "word2") |
strpos(string, "word3")

2.

Mata offers support for longer strings. Otherwise, I'd think in terms
of lines = observations, pages = blocks of observations.

If you run code like that above with a structure of three variables:

page   line    text
1         1     "Once upon a time there was a cat who liked statistics, "
1         2     "and her favourite program was called Stata. She just loved"
1         3     "Stata and thought it was purrfect."

2          1    "The cat knew a big bad wolf who didn't like Stata."
2          2    "The wolf used SAS, Scary Animal Software."

Then you can go

gen lineindicator = strpos(text, "Stata") | strpos(text, "SAS")

egen  pageindicator = max(lineindicator), by(page)

Nick