Re: st: Arrow diagram connecting before and after categories

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Arrow diagram connecting before and after categories
Date   Tue, 7 Aug 2012 10:15:57 +0100

-linkplot- is from SSC. Please note the request to explain where
user-written programs you refer to come from. I see no problem in
using one y variable with different labels, as marker labels exist for
that purpose.

Multiple arrows from one node (vertex) to several others are no
problem so long as each edge or link is represented by an observation.
Thus if a preliminary diagnosis is refined to a final diagnosis for
various persons

"A"   "beginner problem"   "didn't read manual"
"A"   "beginner problem"  "model wrong for data"
"A"   "beginner problem"  "needs new code"
"B"   "beginner problem"  "syntax error"
"C"   "beginner problem"  "data wrong for model"
"C"   "beginner problem"  "version conflict"

that is unproblematic so long as the data structure is as above.

Your problem thus sounds easy but see for details

Cox, N.J. 2009. Paired, parallel, or profile plots for changes,
correlations, and other comparisons.
Stata Journal 9(4): 621-639

Abstract.  Paired, parallel, or profile plots showing the values of
two variables may be constructed readily using a combination of graph
twoway commands. This column explores the principles and practice of
such plot-making, considering both wide and long (panel or
longitudinal) data structures in which such data may appear.
Applications include analysis of change over time or space and indeed
any kind of correlation or comparison between variables. Such plots
may be extended to show numeric values and associated name
information.

That said, it is not clear how effective such graphs will be as
numerous identical links are shown by the same arrow and Stata doesn't
readily support lines proportional in thickness to some other
variable. Depending on how many diagnoses you have I am led to suggest
-tabplot- (SSC) as an alternative.

Nick