Re: st: What is the effect of centering on marginal effects?

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What is the effect of centering on marginal effects?
Date   Fri, 3 Aug 2012 14:18:34 -0400

Dear Will,

A more careful statement is needed.

In some sets of data, the constant predictor is involved in a
collinearity relation (conceivably more than one such).  In those
situations, centering the other predictors involved will definitely
reduce (but perhaps not resolve) the problem(s).

If the constant predictor is not involved in any collinearity
relations that are present, centering will not affect them.

David Hoaglin