Re: st: Comparing coefficients across sub-samples

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Comparing coefficients across sub-samples
Date   Thu, 2 Aug 2012 21:25:27 -0400

James,

The formula that Lisa gave is not Welch's t-test formula.  Welch's
formula produces a t-test on the difference between the two underlying
means, and the expression inside the square-root sign is (s1^2)/n1 +
(s2^2)/n2, where s1^2 and s2^2 are the respective sample variances.
(Those sample variances are also used in calculating the number of
degrees of freedom for the t-test, which will generally not be an
integer.)

In "Lisa's formula" the denominator is the square root of [se(B1)]^2 +
[se(B2)]^2, which can be written var(b1) + var(b2).  It uses the fact
that, since B1 and B2 come from different groups (and can be assumed
to be independent), var(B1 - B2) = var(B1) + var(B2).  Lisa is
replacing the true variances by their estimates from the two
regressions (the squares of the respective standard errors) and
referring z to the standard normal distribution.  The standard errors
of B1 and B2 already incorporate n1 and n2, along with other features
of the regression data.

David Hoaglin