Re: st: IV vs 2SLS

From   David Greenberg <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: IV vs 2SLS
Date   Thu, 2 Aug 2012 20:29:18 -0400

There is a reason for the difference in standard errors. When you
predict x3_hat and use the predicted value in your second equation,
Stata doesn't know that x3_hat is not an observed variable, but an
estimate with some uncertainty attached to it. It treats this variable
as observed, and without measurement error. Consequently, this
procedure underestimates the standard errors of estimates obtained
using the second strategy. David Greenberg, Sociology Department, New
York University