Re: st: What is the effect of centering on marginal effects?

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: What is the effect of centering on marginal effects?
Date   Thu, 2 Aug 2012 14:12:20 -0400

Richard,

Collinearity can cause problems in the numerical computation, but that
is by no means the whole story.  I was reacting to the statement that
"centering variables will not reduce multicollinearity," which is
simply incorrect.

The condition indexes that David Belsley developed are closely related
to the condition number that numerical analysts assign to a
least-squares problem, derived from the singular-value decomposition
of the matrix of data on the predictor variables.

A near linear dependency (collinearity) can degrade the variances of
the estimated coefficients of the predictors involved in the
dependency.  Belsley's coefficient variance decomposition is designed
to reveal such problems.

Near dependencies can arise when variables are not functionally
related.  The problems with monomials such as X, X^2, X^3, ..., are
sometimes alleviated by using orthogonal polynomials.

David Hoaglin