Re: st: How to deal with commands that are too long for e(cmdline) when writting postestimation commands?

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to deal with commands that are too long for e(cmdline) when writting postestimation commands?
Date   Thu, 2 Aug 2012 17:43:07 +0200

The trick is not evaluate the contents of e(cmd), so store the command
in a local macro like this

local cmd `e(cmd)'

and _not_ like this:

local cmd = `e(cmd)'

After that you can use the extended macro functions to manipulate it.
These are documented in -help extended_fcn- (I usually forget, even
though I use it a lot. I typically type -help macro- and click on the
link to extended macro functions). If you use the string functions
instead of extended macro functions you will evaluate the string, and
the 244 character limit will bite again.

In order to get the variables used in the model I tend to prefer to
use column names of the vector of coefficients.

Hope this helps,
Maarten