Re: Re: st: What is the effect of centering on marginal effects?

From   Alessandro Freire <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Re: st: What is the effect of centering on marginal effects?
Date   Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:41:43 -0300

Dear all,

Indeed, centering variables will inevitably result in different
coefficients and standard errors compared to an uncentered model. Even
though, this is due to the fact that these coefficients correspond to
different quantities of interest in each model.

That is, a centered model is no more "accurate" than an uncentered
model. If we estimated the marginal effect of a one unit change in X
at a given value of Z from the estimates of both centered and
uncentered models, we would obtain the same results. One should not
confuse coefficients with effects ( see Kam & Franzese, "Modeling and
Interpreting Interactive Hypotheses in Regression Analysis: A
Refresher and Some Practical Advice" 2005).

Thus, centering variables brings no meaningful changes whatsoever,
since it adds no new information to the estimation of parameters.
Centering was a common procedure during the 1980s due to computational
imprecision issues, but it makes little sense, if any, nowadays.

Alessandro