st: reading value labels in Thai language

From   Alessandra Garbero <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: reading value labels in Thai language
Date   Wed, 1 Aug 2012 17:24:08 +0200

Dear All,

I am currently importing a Thai dataset from excel in STATA  and I
have some string variables (i.e. type of crop) that have value labels
(crop names) in Thai.
STATA can't read them and gives me question marks.

1) Would you have any suggestions on how to read Thai characters into STATA?

2) In addition, I have to attach the corresponding crop name in
English (I already have a dictionary for it) and I was thinking about
using a loop and replace the string value labels with the English
name.

Any idea on how to solve question 1)?

Thanks in advance,

Alessandra