Re: st: RE: update - trouble with computing marginal effects after a Logit or an Ordered Logit model - Please HELP

From   "Justina Fischer" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: update - trouble with computing marginal effects after a Logit or an Ordered Logit model - Please HELP
Date   Thu, 26 Jul 2012 23:03:52 +0200

Hi Jeremy,

having only binary variables as independents is not a good idea in non-linear models.

I suggest that you model age as continuous variable, maybe in a quadratic or cubic form.

Best

Justina
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 13:56:21 -0700
> Von: "William Buchanan" <[email protected]>
> An: [email protected]
> Betreff: st: RE: update - trouble with computing marginal effects after a Logit or an Ordered Logit model - Please HELP

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> Since you're using Stata 11, I would first suggest reading [U]11.4.3
> Factor
> Variables.  You can simplify your syntax quite a bit just by looking there
> and learning how to use factor variables. Then your syntax might look
> like:
>
> logit mfirstchoice i.mstudy mhomme mchiefwageearner i.mage i.mintpol
> i.mpol
> i.mincome i.s003##i.s002, vce(cluster s003)
>
> One of the issues that I think you're having might be the result of
> multicollinearity, since it seems like you're including all of the
> possible
> categories of some factors in the model.  Using factor variable notation
> can
> help you to reduce that happening quite a bit, since Stata will
> automatically exclude a reference group.
>
> Once you fit your model (like the one above), then you can use the
> -margins-
> command which is part of official Stata (see [R] margins for details about
> the syntax or type -help margins-).  There are multiple options available
> and the command is very flexible.  Also, you should include the results
> that
> you're getting from Stata.  This article from one of the StataJournal
> Associate Editors
> (http://www.maartenbuis.nl/publications/interactions.pdf)
> might be helpful to look at.
>
> HTH,
> Billy

Justina AV Fischer, PhD
COFIT Fellow
World Trade Institute
University of Bern

homepage: http://www.justinaavfischer.de/
e-mail: [email protected]. [email protected]
papers: http://ideas.repec.org/e/pfi55.html