Re: st: RE: Graphing Stacked Likert Scale With Neutral in Middle

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Graphing Stacked Likert Scale With Neutral in Middle
Date   Sat, 21 Jul 2012 01:17:34 +0100

David gives good advice.

I never got round to implementing splitting of a middle category in
-slideplot- (SSC).

I'd commend instead -tabplot- (SSC). For some flavours, try

sysuse auto
tabplot foreign rep78
tabplot foreign rep78, percent(foreign) showval
tabplot rep78 foreign , percent(foreign) showval
tabplot rep78 foreign , percent(foreign) showval horizontal

-tabplot- conveys in a different way variations in distributions
relative to the middle category.

Nick

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 11:44 PM, David Radwin <[email protected]> wrote:

> As described by the FAQ, Statalist members are admonished to provide the
> author(s) and location of user-written programs. Although it may seem to
> be an official Stata command, -catplot- is written by Nick Cox and is
> available from SSC. (Members are also admonished to read the FAQ before
> posting.)
>
> If you are willing to forgo showing the middle (neutral) category, you
> might try -slideplot- (also by Nick Cox and available at SSC). If you must
> show the middle category, the positives and negatives won't line up anyway
> except in the rare instance when the two groups have exactly the same
> proportion of neutral responses. Also, you may need to manipulate the data
> first (as with -collapse- or -contract-) to get percentages or
> proportions.

Miles Witthaus