st: Finding xi3

To   Budi Aslinie <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject   st: Finding xi3
Date   Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:40:28 -0400

I received the following private email
> On Jul 16, 2012, at 10:53 PM, Budi Aslinie wrote:
>
> I saw on a STATA forum
Note: correct spelling is "Stata"
> that you were having problems with finding the xi3 command for stata, and you had written
> you were going to write to the authors. I was wondering if you had found a solution as I am having problems finding the file too. I would be very grateful if you could advice me in this regards. Thanks..

-xi3-  is an enhanced "interaction-expansion" prefix command, written by Phil Ender.
 The reference  is  to a 2007 Statalist thread  about how to find -xi3-.  (http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-03/msg00964.html). For some
reason, -findit- still does not do the job. I just now located -xi3- by starting
from a search box on the UCLA Academic Technology Services web site.
(http://statistics.ats.ucla.edu/stat/)

The command can be installed from the Stata by typing:

net from http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/ado/analysis
net install xi3

In Stata 11+, factor variables provide much of the utility of -xi3-.  However
-xi3- and the contributed command -desmat- (findit)  have capabilities that
have not yet been duplicated in official Stata:  options to generate
Helmert and other special coding schemes.

I want to thank again Phil Ender and ATS for providing such a wonderful
resource for data analysts.

Steve